Saturday, June 9, 2012

Southern Grits

This post was inspired by the question posed on another blog spot:

"What lesser known book by an author do you love?"
Years ago after discovering, and falling in love with Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg, her first novel was re-released.
Originally published under the title, Coming Attractions, her first novel appeared on shelves following the success of the movie version of Fried Green Tomatoes.
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man is the novel I most often recommend to friends and other book lovers. The story is a classic coming of age novel with a definite, southern twist. If it takes a village to raise a child, then Daisy is surrounded by the wackiest bunch of villagers one southern town could produce.
The story peaks as Fay enters a local beauty pageant and somehow ends up at the Miss Alabama contest. Flagg's description of the beauty pageant circuit is hysterical and is my favorite part of the book. 
Whenever I am feeling down, I pick up my worn copy and dissolve into laughter as I follow Daisy Fay and her adventures as a true "GRITS" (girls growing up in the south.)

No comments:

Post a Comment