Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Science of a Balanced Force

A balanced force is when two equal forces are applied on an object pushing both ways. Also they are equal forces acting on an object in opposite directions.
When something isn't moving the forces are balanced.




When I was reading aloud the sixth grade science exam last week, this theory got me thinking.

Many areas of my life are currently in balance. At first glance, this seems to be a positive idea. My husband and I have learned the fine art of balancing the demands on our time and attention that previously kept us from spending quality time together. We both have kids from our previous relationships and although they are mostly grown, they still need a lot from us.

We have learned to balance our own individual needs for occasional solitude to create and re-charge, and still make time to spend together alone, without feeling guilty about the others who also need us within our separate immediate and extended families.

It's been a real challenge learning how to balance the give and take of establishing a "new family."  We have learned that there is no one way to do this. We accept that to others it looks less than traditional, but we have found that the model we've shaped respects everyone, and that is most important to us.

An UNbalanced force is needed for something to change movement or change direction.



There are other areas of my life that are suffering from inertia. I have been unable to move in one clear direction, due to many forces beyond my control. In this case, balanced forces are not creating harmony, but dissonance.


I have been waiting for the right time to unbalance the force, and lately I've been wondering if the universe is in fact waiting on me to be the force of change. It is often my nature, to wait for something to change before I make my move.


This admission may surprise some of the people who know me as the woman who seems to go in and make things happen. I am very decisive person at work, and around my household when dealing with everyday, mostly non-emotional things.  


But, in matters of personalities and dealing with those closest to me, I hesitate to act. I wait and see, and sometimes the waiting becomes total inertia. The other person acts and then I am filled with dread or anger that I have to react. I then kick myself and wonder why I didn't make my move first.


It's because deep down, I'm filled with the insecurity of not gaining love and approval  if I act on  my gut feelings.


The last time I went with my gut, I lost my job, my marriage ended and I became a pariah in my circle of community. That experience changed me, for the better.


 The biggest lesson I learned from that experience is that being an unbalanced force for change is often a lonely job, but you are ultimately rewarded in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment