Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Life's Good

Life's Good


I see this bumper sticker occasionally on my daily commute and depending on my mood, I either smile in agreement, or grumble "yeah, right."

My trip to Cincinnati this past weekend reminded me that my life is good. I was surrounded by my most precious gems- my children and my husband. My parents were relaxed and were, "just along for the ride."
And we all had a blast. Staying at a historic hotel (now the Hilton)  added a level of glitzy glamour to the whole trip.

We were able to walk to the church Friday night and see a bit of downtown. Afterwards we had a nightcap in the hotel bar and listened to a jazz combo. The graduation ceremony was classy and well executed. We loved the explosion of confetti raining down on the grads at the end, and the faculty lining the main aisle so each graduate  was able to walk past their professors, mentors, and advisors.

We had a lovely celebration dinner with my son, who was so grateful that we had come so far to celebrate his day. He came back and stayed with us that night, and we all enjoyed sitting around on a rainy Sunday and just enjoying each other's company.

Sunday evening I was checking our flight information when I realized that Scott would not be flying home with us the next day. Once again, I was going to have to leave him behind. I think that same realization hit him as well. He became quiet and detached as evening arrived and our departure crept closer.

Sitting in the hotel room later, my earlier elation was gone, and I was already feeling the sadness of our separation. I knew that graduation just meant another step away from me, and that is how it should be.

Just before we settled down to sleep my phone lit up with a text. It read: " I wouldn't have made it here without you, the greatest mom in the world."


Life's Good.


No comments:

Post a Comment