Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cleaning Closets

My son is cleaning out his closets. He is packing things up and throwing things away.

He's been dreading this chore for months, but once he got started he has enjoyed uncovering years of toys and school work, books and other fun reminders of his childhood.

I often feel the same way about cleaning and purging.  I put it off, make excuses until one day,  I finally get in and tackle the darn project. Bags of cast off clothes, purses and belts that are out of fashion. There's plenty of old bent hangers, receipts, tags, and broken jewelry.

When I'm done and everything is neat and tidy once again, I am filled with satisfaction for a job well done. The past is packed up and the future looks clear as I walk into my newly cleaned space.

I can't help but wish that I could pack up the rest of my past and put it all in plastic bags or bins and leave it at the dump. There are pieces of my former life that I am still dragging along with me, and for good reason I cannot yet, give away.

A few more years and I can finally put the last of it in a bag, and set it on the curb. Until then, I will clean up all of the closets and keep packing up the stuff that can be moved out.

No comments:

Post a Comment